Name: Artibeus obscurus
Authority: (Wied-Neuwied, 1826)
English Common Name: Dark Fruit-eating Bat
Spanish Common Name(s): Murciélago Frutero Negruzco
Portuguese Common Name(s): Morcego
Global Conservation Status
IUCN Red List Category:
NT - Near threatened
CITES Status: None
Distribution Status in Latin America
||Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Peru, Suriname, Venezuela
- Aguiar, L. M. de S. and J. Marinho-Filho. 2004. Activity patterns of nine phyllostomid bat species in a fragment of the Atlantic Forest in southeastern Brazil. Revista Brasileira de Zoologia 21:385-390.
- Engstrom, M. and B. Lim. 2000. Checklist of the mammals of Guyana. Smithsonian Institute. Http://www.mnh.si.edu/biodiversity/bdg/guymammals.html
- Haynes, M. A. and T. E. Lee, Jr. 2004. Artibeus obscurus. Mammalian Species 756:1-5.
- Koopman, K. F. 1982. Biogeography of the bats of South America. Pp. 273-302 in Mares MA and Genoways HH eds. Mammalian Biology in South America. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh, Special Publication Series, Pymatuning Laboratory of Ecology.
- Lim, B. K., M. D. Engstrom, T. E. Lee, Jr., J. C. Patton, and J. W. Bickham. 2004. Molecular differentiation of large species of fruit-eating bats (Artibeus) and phylogenetic relationships based on the cytochrome b gene. Acta Chiropterologica 6:1-12.
- Pacheco, V., H. de Macedo, E. Vivar, C. Ascorra, R. Arana-Cardó, and S. Solari. 1995. Lista anotada de los mamíferos peruanos. Conservation International, Washington, DC.
- Patterson, B. 2003. Unpublished database of Neotropical Mammal species. The Field Museum, Chicago, Illinois.
- Tirira, D. 1999. Mamíferos del Ecuador. Museo de Zoología, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, Quito.
- Wilson, D. E., and D. M. Reeder (editors). 2005. Mammal species of the world: a taxonomic and geographic reference. Third edition. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore. Two volumes. 2,142 pp.
Small Print: Trademark, Copyright, Citation Guidelines, Restrictions on
and Information Disclaimer.
presented in InfoNatura at http://infonatura.natureserve.org
were updated to be current with NatureServe's central databases
as of February 2008.
Note: This report was printed on
NatureServe, The NatureServe logo, and
all other names of NatureServe programs referenced herein are trademarks of NatureServe. Any other product or company
names mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.
Notice: © 2008 NatureServe, 1101 Wilson Boulevard, 15th Floor, Arlington Virginia
22209, U.S.A. All Rights Reserved. Each document delivered from
this server or web site may contain other proprietary notices and
copyright information relating to that document. The following citation
should be used in any published materials which reference the web
on Use: Permission to use, copy and distribute documents delivered from
this server is hereby granted under the following conditions:
InfoNatura: Animals and Ecosystems of Latin America
[web application]. 2007. Version 5.0 . Arlington, Virginia (USA):
NatureServe. Available: http://infonatura.natureserve.org.
Warranty Disclaimer: All
documents and related graphics provided by this server and any other documents
which are referenced by or linked to this server are provided "as is" without
warranty as to the currentness, completeness, or accuracy of any specific
data. NatureServe hereby disclaims all
warranties and conditions with regard to any documents provided by this
server or any other documents which are referenced by or linked to this
server, including but not limited to all implied warranties and conditions
of merchantibility, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement.
NatureServe makes no representations about
the suitability of the information delivered from this server or any other
documents that are referenced to or linked to this server. In no event shall
NatureServe be liable for any special,
indirect, incidental, consequential damages, or for damages of any kind
arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of information
contained in any documents provided by this server or in any other documents
which are referenced by or linked to this server, under any theory of liability
used. NatureServe may update or make changes
to the documents provided by this server at any time without notice; however,
NatureServe makes no commitment to update
the information contained herein. Since the data in the central databases
are continually being updated, it is advisable to refresh data retrieved
at least once a year after its receipt. The data provided is for planning,
assessment, and informational purposes. Site specific projects or activities
should be reviewed for potential environmental impacts with appropriate
regulatory agencies. If ground-disturbing activities are proposed on a site,
the appropriate state natural heritage program(s) or conservation data center
can be contacted for a site-specific review of the project area. Refer to
the Natural Heritage Network Directory available at http://www.natureserve.org for
contact information for each program office.
- The above copyright notice
must appear in all copies;
- Any use of the documents available
from this server must be for informational purposes only and in no instance
for commercial purposes;
- Some data may be downloaded
to files and altered in format for analytical purposes, however the data
should still be referenced using the citation above;
- No graphics
available from this server can be used, copied or distributed separate
from the accompanying text. Any rights not expressly granted herein
are reserved by NatureServe. Nothing
contained herein shall be construed as conferring by implication,
estoppel, or otherwise any license or right under any trademark of
NatureServe. No trademark owned by
NatureServe may be used in advertising
or promotion pertaining to the distribution of documents delivered
from this server without specific advance permission from NatureServe. Except as expressly provided above,
nothing contained herein shall be construed as conferring any license
or right under any NatureServe copyright.
the comment form, please note any errors or significant omissions
that you find in the data. Your comments will be very valuable in
improving the overall quality of our databases for the network of
5.0 (10 April 2007)
last updated: April 2007